Total online: 29
Guestbook
Guestbook
Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  Off Topics  |   Page 1 of 1 | Jump To >> |
building design - face palm

should architects around the world start designing this way?
no this is rediculous
83%
 83%  [ 10 ]
yes i want one in my city
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

fenly
PostPosted: 15 September 2010 - 01:09:56 (090)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

IT'S likely to become Melbourne's most significant or most controversial building.

A 32-storey apartment block at the Carlton end of Swanston Street will feature - in an architectural world first - the image of indigenous leader William Barak across its 100-metre-high, sculpted facade.

When complete in 2014, Barak's image on the Portrait building, on the former Carlton & United Brewery site, will be in direct line of site of the Shrine of Remembrance, nearly three kilometres away.
the moonpainter
PostPosted: 15 September 2010 - 01:22:17 (098)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Buildings with huge images on them aren’t anything new. Nevertheless I think that too controversial images should be avoided – otherwise some people might be offended and start doing stupid things.
fenly
PostPosted: 15 September 2010 - 01:24:51 (100)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

the moonpainter wrote:
Buildings with huge images on them aren’t anything new. Nevertheless I think that too controversial images should be avoided – otherwise some people might be offended and start doing stupid things.

but this one is embedded into the concrete - it's not an electronic billboard nor is it artistic imo, i don't like it
imtryinmybest
PostPosted: 15 September 2010 - 01:35:12 (107)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

its stupid.

Outskirt
PostPosted: 15 September 2010 - 02:24:49 (142)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Macker
PostPosted: 15 September 2010 - 02:35:20 (149)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I work in an architectural practice and see some pretty stupid ideas from time to time in various journals etc, but this one ranks as one of the worst I've seen. Definately being submitted to the "cool wall" at work and filed under "not cool".

Intel Q6600 | 4GB Crucial Balistix RAM | Nvidia XFX GeForce 8800 GTS | 1TB+ Storage | MOTU 828MKII | Presonus Tube Pre | Rode NT1a | SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 | Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 | Novation KS Rack | Cubase 5 | Reason 3
Macker Goodbye trance.nu. You shall be missed
Rick Mage
PostPosted: 15 September 2010 - 08:42:46 (404)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

...I know this is a stupid question but why would this be so controversial? Who was William Barak? What was his crime? I looked him up and it didn't seen he was like some Hitler. In fact, I read that he was most known for his art work in Australia...Someone educate me. cool

Echo81
PostPosted: 15 September 2010 - 09:23:01 (432)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Rick Mage wrote:
...I know this is a stupid question but why would this be so controversial? Who was William Barak? What was his crime? I looked him up and it didn't seen he was like some Hitler. In fact, I read that he was most known for his art work in Australia...Someone educate me. cool

I read the same. shy either or, the building looks ridiculous. not impressed

To enjoy my latest production>> CLICK RIGHT HURR
Echo81 - So long T.Nu. It's been an amazing run. I will miss all of you. Even the dipshits. ='(
fenly
PostPosted: 15 September 2010 - 15:04:06 (669)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Rick Mage wrote:

looks like a newspaper printed on a building - not worthy
jetflag
PostPosted: 15 September 2010 - 17:38:17 (776)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

this kind of attentiontechture is in my oppinion only applicable in cities like Las vegas for instance. Its like putting a building in a t-shirt with a dodgy text. Turning buildings into billboards with huges faces is in my oppinion a shitty development that downgrades architecture as an functional art form to a bottom level.

if you want to make a monument for someone make a fucking monument
don't use a residential building for it.

Frumbasjt
PostPosted: 16 September 2010 - 15:10:19 (673)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

jetflag wrote:
this kind of attentiontechture is in my oppinion only applicable in cities like Las vegas for instance. Its like putting a building in a t-shirt with a dodgy text. Turning buildings into billboards with huges faces is in my oppinion a shitty development that downgrades architecture as an functional art form to a bottom level.

+1

fenly
PostPosted: 18 September 2010 - 02:56:20 (164)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Frumbasjt wrote:
jetflag wrote:

+1

+ 2

shapeshifter
PostPosted: 19 September 2010 - 17:04:21 (753)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

heheheh. this is right near where i went to university every day for 4 years. imagine having to stare at that every day!! no thank you!! also - some ugly concrete face overlooking the the shrine of remembrance (a war memorial).. probably not the brightest spark thought of this one!!

but melbourne is renowned for its ugly pieces of architecture so we can just add this one to the pile.
shapeshifter is now living in Taipei :)