Events
Notification

Latest Topics
<  This makes me mad!  |   Page 1 of 3 | Jump To >> | Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Laptop DJing vs CDJ/vinyl DJing
richyboy88
PostPosted: 02 November 2008 - 20:52:37 (911)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Me and my mate keep on having this really annoying discussions.

he recently borrowed one of my old soundcards off me and made a mix on his laptop with virtual DJ.

He started looking at midi controllers that he could get and i said that if i was to invest i would get some cdj, which i think would be way more fun.

He keeps on saying that he doesnt see how cdjs would be better and that there is no point using them when its easier on a laptop etc etc boring boring.

basically hes wrong, and it really makes me mad wink . I think that he must still be in the "honeymoon period" when djing with software that does it for you is still fun

Sorry to dig this topic up from the ground, i know its been buried long ago. I just need wanted to say my opinion and see what others have to say

peace happy

PostPosted: 02 November 2008 - 21:09:17 (923)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Quote:
basically hes wrong

is he?

If he is so convinced laptop dj'ing does it for him, then let him do it.
If you really believed in cdj djing you would just wait until he finds out it is better, by even bringing this topic up here you don't believe 100% in cdjing puh
tito1337 ...
Naij
PostPosted: 02 November 2008 - 21:14:29 (926)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

you're a noob, that's all
arsenijcz2
PostPosted: 02 November 2008 - 21:15:14 (927)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

i got kinda confused who likes what.

i prefer regular stuff to software. but sometimes im lazy too, or there is no need to stand next to a table and you can mix up some good stuff with great skill and press play while talking to people ect...

laptop mixing also requires some skill. its a good idea to start off with a laptop, learn all the fades & brakdowns buildups and then when you have the "ear" you can spend £1000 for used cdjs happy

djzakquiney
PostPosted: 02 November 2008 - 21:22:30 (932)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

And vinyl DJing is a whole other category by itself.

If you're looking for a new forum to migrate to, why not join the fallout from the old Anjunabeats forum in our new home...?

www.unjunaforum.com

See you there happy
richyboy88
PostPosted: 02 November 2008 - 21:28:07 (936)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Naij wrote:
you're a noob, that's all

hehe yeh ill be honest when it comes to djing puh

arsenijcz2 wrote:
i got kinda confused who likes what.

i prefer regular stuff to software. but sometimes im lazy too, or there is no need to stand next to a table and you can mix up some good stuff with great skill and press play while talking to people ect...

laptop mixing also requires some skill. its a good idea to start off with a laptop, learn all the fades & brakdowns buildups and then when you have the "ear" you can spend £1000 for used cdjs happy

my friends is into the software im saying that i prefer the hardware thumbsup

Ive been using software for a few years now so maybe ive just grown bored of and im ready to invest

djzakquiney wrote:

yeh ive been told that vinyl is harder than cdjs

PostPosted: 02 November 2008 - 21:37:26 (942)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

virtual - Existing in the mind, especially as a product of the imagination.

Lets put it this way, let him pretend to be a DJ, but in the end its more than just beat matching and mixing from deck a to deck b.
Stedyce remixes galore!
richyboy88
PostPosted: 02 November 2008 - 21:39:23 (944)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Stedyce wrote:
virtual - Existing in the mind, especially as a product of the imagination.

Lets put it this way, let him pretend to be a DJ, but in the end its more than just beat matching and mixing from deck a to deck b.

haha thats a good one, ill remember that thumbsup

PostPosted: 02 November 2008 - 21:40:21 (944)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

djzakquiney wrote:

yea, and the best thing with vinyl is that the options are endless, you always learn something new.

YonnyCage
PostPosted: 02 November 2008 - 21:44:32 (947)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

I mix with a laptop! But with serato and timecode vinyls wink

Jezper
PostPosted: 02 November 2008 - 22:00:51 (958)  Reply with quote
Trance.nu Retired Mascot

Let him do whatever he wants. I don't agree with your attitude towards software djing though. Depending on what software you're using, you could be a so much more entertaining DJ than with a couple of cdjs. What's that good Richie Hawtin quote about dj software again?
Jezper & Tommie just launched a swedish tech podcast. Check it out: http://www.slashat.se
richyboy88
PostPosted: 02 November 2008 - 22:12:14 (966)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Jezper wrote:
Let him do whatever he wants. I don't agree with your attitude towards software djing though. Depending on what software you're using, you could be a so much more entertaining DJ than with a couple of cdjs. What's that good Richie Hawtin quote about dj software again?

Yeh sorry i think that ive been a bit harsh...

I think that its the particular software maybe that just aims to emulate a par of decks and the fact that hes trying to push his opinions onto me not the other way around

I know what with other software like ableton u can really take it to the next level with on the fly producing etc.

I saw that richie hawtin vid something like "its not cheating if u use the time it gives you to do something else" hehe

PostPosted: 02 November 2008 - 22:17:57 (970)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Jezper wrote:
please do tell?

PostPosted: 02 November 2008 - 23:03:39 (002)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

Jezper wrote:

"Allowing the computer to do one thing is only boring if you don't use the time that computer saves you to do something else."
-Ritchie Hawtin

^^^My Radio Show
The Greg is well on his way to completing a double major in Finance & Economics
Frankiee
PostPosted: 02 November 2008 - 23:15:36 (010)  Reply with quote
T.nu Member

YonnyCage wrote:
I mix with a laptop! But with serato and timecode vinyls wink

Same here, but I use Traktor Scratch. Don't have enough money for the ubercool "pro" update.

Timecode is a bit like the best of bolth worlds.

I love it when I'm in a club and the DJ still plays vinyls. Gives such a nice vibe. ow and I think playing vinyls is more difficult than CDJ.
Frankiee can't you see you single minded trance people are the apartheid of EDM?